During the construction of Disneyland in the 1950′s, Walt Disney wanted a place to call home while he oversaw the activity – so a small apartment was built on the second floor of the Main Street Firehouse…
(At just 500 square feet the apartment was only small, but still contained a bathroom, shower, patio, kitchen and living room.)
The apartment even had its very own fireman’s pole which his guests and grandchildren could slide down to exit the apartment – that is, until one day a young park guest climbed up the fire pole much to the surprise of the Disney family. After this the hole for the fireman’s pole was closed over to avoid any more surprise visits.
Whenever Walt would stay over at his Main Street apartment, he’d leave a lamp on in the main window; letting guests and cast members know he was in the park. It was at this window that Walt stood to watch guests take their first stroll down Main Street on the day Disneyland opened.
Since his death in 1966, the lamp has been kept on at all times in his memory – reminding people that his presence is always in the park. The only time it is switched off is when his daughters visit, out of respect for their loss.